• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sleep aid

DeadSpeed

Greenlighter
What kind of sleep aids do you guys take if you need help falling asleep? I have been taking a generic sleep aid which contains 25mg of Diphenhydramine. It sometimes helps only if i take 3 which would be about 37.5mg, which is the active dose in other brands.

What helps best? Which ones to avoid or try. Thanks

I usually take benadryl or trazadone. I prefer zopiclone though but it's more exensive.

Man if i were u i'd look into geting something with a shorter half-life like melatonin or zolpidem. Diphenhydramine is absolute filth for sleep, sure it may work but in the morning u feel like sombody sucked your blood as u slept.

Yes, Melatonin is good. Helps regulate functional sleep without being sluggish in the morning. I was taking a melatonin pilll(don't remember the mg, with .5mg of clonazepam and worked wonders.

Taken with 5HTP it can provide a restful complete sleep cycle. . Did for me anywhoo. Though i have never mixed it with Diphenhydramine though.

My sleep schedule can get really screwed up (I'm bipolar, sometime I just have way too much energy). I've tried lunesta, tylenol pm, lots of nyquil, valerian, scullcap and melatonin.

Scullcap smells like dirty gym socks, and since it's a tea you'll probably have to wake up & pee later. Lunesta...well I was actually awake and didn't know it. Hung out with a couple friends and talked for hours. Woke up the next day thinking I slept all night. NOT cool. Tylenol pm...meh, stopped working after a few days. Nyquil eventually made me hallucinate.

Melatonin wins. Got 2.5 mg pills that dissolve under your tongue, 1 around bedtime. They didn't "knock me out" like lunesta/ambien does - I didn't get super drowsy - but if I took one maybe half an hour before bed, I was actually ready to go to bed and I fell asleep pretty quickly.
Took them for a couple of months, stopped cold turkey (ran out of pills, was broke) and I've had no problems sleeping since.